Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Humility

Well, whatever I keep saying about updating this thing more often is a load of bull!

So, updates!

Sherawn is currently 35 weeks as of TODAY! Hurray! Baby Boy DeWitt is almost here! & I'm pretty sure that Sherawn is counting down the seconds right now! She's had a pretty easy pregnancy so far (according to her! I wouldn't presume to speak for her or any woman on what is easy or hard in a pregnancy, not so long as I don't want to find myself sleeping on the couch or worse!) She didn't have any morning sickness or weird cravings (beyond the occasional late-night run to In-&-Out Burger!) But lately, she's been having a lot of back & pelvis pain & she keeps feeling contractions that she denies are contractions which really upsets her doctors, nurses, & husband & which she doesn't feel are serious enough to keep track of until her husband gets grumpy enough with her to make her lay down & drink some water! (Sorry for the prego hubby shpeal...)

So, after I quit Community Bridges, I was out of work for several weeks finishing up the semester & attempting to get another EMT job. It's been brutal & NOTHING was coming from any of my HUNDREDS of applications that both Sherawn & I were working on both day & night, so I finally started asking/looking for any old work I could find. That's when Brandon Staples (one of my best friends of all time) threw me a bone. His little brother Zack got a hold of me & was able to get me an interview with the company he does IT work for, a marketing company called Tier 3. It was a great company to work for. Neat people, somewhat energetic atmosphere, a good marketing approach, there was only one problem; I was lying through my teeth to every single person I spoke with over the phone! It was not such a big deal when it was a grumpy jerk calling in to claim our too-good-to-be-true prize, I could care less if the schmuck was chatting up got wrangled into a high-pressure sales-pitch for a vacation club he couldn't afford. What tore at my soul were the genuinely sweet people who called-into me. The sweet old widowed grandma on a fixed income who would tell me for fifteen heart-wrenching minutes about how she was going to use her free airplane tickets (which she almost certainly never received) to visit her two grandkids whom she hadn't been able to visit in years... or the engaged couple expecting to be able to use them on a honeymoon.... So I wasn't too upset when they pulled me into their offices to tell me that my numbers sucked & that I should start looking for work elsewhere!

God works in mysterious ways for sure! I didn't waste any time feeling sorry for myself. I went straight to work interviewing anywhere that would give me a shot including Home Depot & Walmart. I think that's what Heavenly Father was waiting to see because no sooner had I left my epic failure of a telemarketing job & begun applying to places I swore I would NEVER work while I had any shred of self-respect did I get not just one but TWO interviews with both PMT Ambulance & Southwest Ambulance which I'd been dying for since before we even moved back to the Valley! I also was rehired for another wild fire season with Wilderness Medics & Paramedics Unlimited but I also got hired by a special events medical staffing company called Amphibious Medics! All within a week of leaving Tier 3!

I turns out both PMT & Southwest gave me employment offers! I felt a rush of humility & gratitude to my Heavenly Father for such gracious blessings! I ended up going with PMT even though they start their EMT's at a lower pay rate ($9.60/hr instead of about $11.00/hr at Southwest), with PMT I'll have a much better chance of still being able to deploy for wild fires & since they are a smaller company, I'll be able to advance much more quickly than with Southwest.

I'm already so grateful Heavenly Father guided me to PMT! Everyone of the employees I have met & worked with so far have been amazing! Truly great people to work with & I am extremely excited to begin working my regular shifts!

I am so thankful for all of the great blessings Heavenly Father is allowing me to receive right now & I pray that I can remember to stay humble & thankful for everything he is doing for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment